The history of the Corporatewealth
In the current era of economic revival following the period of Warring States that succeeded the fall of the Second Federation early in the current 16th Occupation, the Terran Corporatewealth began when a number of planets linked through trade, stable wormhole conduits, and cultural ties, established a uniform currency, and later, a shared government.
For a while, under weak leaders the Administration was little more than a rubber stamp for the Oligarchy of Nobles and the Transtellar Corporations. But under strong leaders like Jonia Connar it becomes a force to be reckoned with.
Over the years, various factions have dominated, and government has swung between far right and center left. Also, particular worlds do not necessarily follow the policy of the federal government.
During this golden age, the Corporatewealth became the primary superpower in the human diaspora. Including billions more orbitals and habitats, this was a star-spanning cultural, economic, and military juggernaut provides excellent sapient rights for those fortunate enough to be recognised as citizens.
But years of warfare and terrorism, and dissatisfaction among the populace with self-serving leaders caused the Corporatewealth morphed into the Terragen Imperium (also known as the Third Corporatewealth)
The Corporatewealth Today
The current Corporatewealth consists of the amalgamation of hundreds of different and sometimes quite distinct polities and solar systems which share common ideological, political, economic, and military tendencies. Most of these are human but includes over a dozen alien races as well as well as AIs, all are accorded equal rights. The digital exchange unit is the fedcredollar or feddie (strong currency). Most corporatewealth urban areas and commercial centers are full of madverts.
Reigning benignly above all is Beloved Leader, Sedy Innocent III.
Yet despite high standards of living, many injustices remain. Splices and manimals, slaves and indentured laborers, mutants and bumpyheads, cannon fodder and sale plebs, refugees and asylum seekers, the situation is not so rosy.
The most powerful Socio-Political Factions of the Imperium are:
- Beloved Leader Sedy Innocent III – historical records show that at one time there was a human called Sedy, a minor noble of the Old Innocent dynasty. With the rise of current Imperium, records became more ambiguous, as memetic engineering and false news proliferated like pink goo. Sedy Innocent III’s innumerable clones are everywhere, at charity functions, reviewing the troops, presenting awards, at soup kitchens handing out soup with His very hands
- Govsec – the administrative, executive and legislative division, the Machinery of State under Sedy (or which uses Sedy as a colorful distraction), , which manages population, resources, and so on. .
- The Oligarchy – the human ceos and corporate hyperturings that administer and rule the megacorporations spread thru the human diaspora and beyond. These are based on a pyramid structure with local (local, planetary or system-wide) franchises at the bottom. Government is by hu-ai partnership, the governing hu is called the ceo which is a title like lord.
- MilEnT – the Military-Entertainment Complex, which vies with the Oligarchy for ultimate power, prestige and influence, controls the military in partnership with Govsec, and is in control of much of the popular media.
- The Pellorist Church – under the archshockpope are various local shockpopes, the followers of Gigo Pellor enforce ethical teachings through Talk Back Virch and administer the Nitchel, the religious law. This puts them at odds with the Oligarchy also administers and Reality Show law. There are a number of factions, including both moderates and hardliners.
- The Aristocracy. The Dynasties or Great Houses, monarchies with a neo-feudal structure, networks of alliances linked by genome, sometimes serving as local warlords in less regulated territories. Once immensely powerful, they are now diminished through the encroachments of Oligarchy and MilEnC. Traditionally they are on good terms with the Church, tho some Houses such as the Solomoninon have rejected the message of the Shockpope.
The Founding Member Worlds
- Argalandar – wealthy, showy, prosperous, many corporations.
- Arrenac – administrative capital (govsec), mining, hab, industry
- Banks – huge populated worlds and habs, the most socialist (welfare) of the founding worlds
- Elysium – space habs, class stratification, some luxurious others impoverished, high tech
- Isis – also entertainment, hedonics, also class stratification with less advantaged.
- Marduk – industrial complex, military industrial, maufacturing, deep well industrial zones, also extensive population on moons and space habs
- Matrix – infotech hub, also populated worlds, sprawling asteroid habs
- Nony (New Old New Yearth) – mercentile hub and major population center
- Nuiterra – garden world, since totally overpopulated, many arcologies, two moons, larger and smaller.
- Zubrin – large population center, space habs, asteroid habs and industries, comm hubs
Original text © M Alan Kazlev, 2017.